Meldrum Construction were chosen to complete the demolition of the northern part of Building 44 and construct a new 3-storey extension to hold resin pilot equipment for Akzo Nobel in Felling. Completing all associated works with the assistance of sister companies, Meldrum Structural and Civil Engineering, Meldrum Fabrication, Meldrum Building Services and Plant & Transport. The site covers an area of 46 acres and employs over 900 people, falling under the COMAH Regulations and is currently occupied by AkzoNobel for the production paint coatings and solvents.
AkzoNobel’s existing operations remained live through the duration of the works. The global company creates paints and coatings for some of the best-known brands in the world, such as Dulux. With the constant growth of a company this size, more operational space is needed. The project commenced on 29th November 2021 and completed on the 21st of October 2022.
- Atex rated equipment
- Specialist mechanical
- Deionised water treatment
- Specialist extract systems
- Specialist drainage
- Medical gasses
- Oxygen depletion system
- Retaining walls
- 180-minute fire protection to structure
Meldrum Construction carried out:-
- Management of the strip out and part-demolition of the existing building.
- Management of all Construction Phase works
Meldrum Structural and Civil Engineering carried out:-
- All substructure works such as CFA Piling, Basement tanking and RC slab construction.
- Installation of new retaining walls
- Installation of new internal and external underground drainage, including a pumping station
- Construction of a stand-alone RC Slab for Akzo Nobel materials storage
Meldrum Fabrication carried out:-
- Supply and erection of the hot and cold rolled steel frame
- Supply and erect the internal galvanised steel staircase
Meldrum Building Services carried out the whole package including:-
- 1st and 2nd Fix Mechanical
- 1st and 2nd Fix Electrical Heavy Industrial
- 1st and 2nd Fix Plumbing
- Test and Commissioning
- Ladder rack system and submain cabling installation from Building 44 to the opposite side of Akzo Nobel Felling and crossing over 2 x service gantry bridges.
- Atex equipment installation
- Oxygen depletion system
- Commercial gas installation
- Interfacing with existing building services
- Process gas installation
Plant and Transport organised:-
- Supplied and installed our office, welfare and WC cabins
- Supplied and maintained all general construction used plant
- Supplied and maintained all formwork system used for pouring concrete for the retaining wall.
AT A GLANCE
INTERNATIONAL PAINT LIMITED
Contract – JCT